What type of electrical safety certificate should you get?

There are various types of electrical safety certificates or reports that you can consider. These are covered below.

The Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). This is the certificate that many landlords choose to go with. It is similar to the periodic or time-based electrical reports of the past. Landlords have to get a professional electrician to provide this before another tenancy begins. If you are buying a new property, you are required to get one as well. This is doubly important if the wiring is a bit dated. Condition reports are issued at the end of the process instead of a certificate.

The Minor Electrical Works Installation Certificate: This type of certificate is issued after a minor electrical installation, such as additional sockets or light fittings,is completed.

The Part-P Certificate or Notification: In the UK, notification from building control is required for most electrical projects. You can get this by hiring a professional electrician that has the Part P self-certification badge. This class of electricians can legally certify their work. Alternatively, you can find another professional electrician who isn’t Part-P certified. However, you will have to apply for the notification with Building Control on your own.

The Electrical Installation Certificate: This type of certificate states that the electrical installation is safe to use as at the time and date stated on the certificate. Professional electricians are expected to provide these for all major installations starting from consumer units to new circuits. You also need the certificate when you add additional lights and sockets to your bathroom or kitchen.


For a landlord, the Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) is usually enough. If you need more clarification on your obligations and the right electrical safety certificates to go with, speak with a professional.